ADSM-L

tuning mount retension

2005-04-25 11:09:11
Subject: tuning mount retension
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:08:04 -0400
I'm trying to tune our mount retension settings on our device classes.
Currently, we have it set to 3 min for our 3590 drives.  I'm not
finding much info on how to tell if our 3 min period is too long or too
short.

1st try . . . .

I sorted the mount messages (anr8337i)in a actlog listing of 24 hours
by volume/date/time and looked for multiple mounts of the same volume that
were  real close together in time and on the same drive.

I found just a couple.

2nd try . . .

I counted the number of the following messages in a actlog listing for 24
hours:
   anr8337i - mounted vol msgs = 415
   anr8325i - dismounting with expired mount retension = 230
   anr8468i - dismounted vol msgs = 415

This might indicate we had 185 instances of mount retension being useful.

But . . .

I'm not sure of is whether  a mount satisfied by a already mounted tape
even has a
mount msg in the log????

I'm also not sure whether a tape always waits for the mount retension
period to
be dismounted, or, whether it can be immediately dismounted if there are
pending mount requests for other volumes.

I looked in the manuals and online but didn't find much that helped.

Any thoughts on how to tune mount retension are appreciated!!!!

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.