ADSM-L

TSM Admin Schedule of Events

2005-04-19 14:45:39
Subject: TSM Admin Schedule of Events
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:44:54 -0400

Hello everyone!

I have put together my new TSM environment and have been running ok, but
now I would like to make the admin jobs run more smoothly.  I have created
a doc
with the order of admin scheduled events.  I would like to place as much as
possible within 1 script so that it flows better.  I can place everything
from step 2-5 within
one job, but in order to eject the TSM copypool tapes and the dbb I use
Gresham Control Center, so this is where it would have to branch off.  How
can I create a
second job to pick up at Step 7 after step 6 has been run successfully?
Also, is this the correct order of events?  I have seen so many different
opinions and I have
even confused myself at times.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

               Daily TSM Admin Schedules Order of Operations

1.    Client Backups
2.    Backup storage pools
      ba stg aix copy_aix maxpr=3 wait=yes
      ba stg linux copy_aix maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg notes copy_notes maxpr wait=yes
      ba stg oracle copy_oracle maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg solaris copy_solaris maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg windows copy_windows maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_aix copy_aix maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_linux copy_linux maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_notes copy_notes maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_oracle copy_oracle maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_solaris copy_solaris maxpr= wait=yes
      ba stg tape_windows copy_windows maxpr=wait=yes
3.    Backup the TSM database
a.    DBB
            ba db dev=dbb t=f
b.    DBS
            ba db dev=dbb type=dbsnapshot
4.    Backup device configuration file.
      ba devconfig
5.    Backup volume history file.
      ba volhistory
6.    Move DR Media – Update status of tapes to vault, eject and send
offsite.  This is done through Gresham Control Center which issues the
following order of commands for each volume:
a.    Move drmedia Txxxxx tostate=notmountable
b.    Checkout libvol Txxxxx
7.    Move NAS copy tapes – Update the status of the tapes to notmountable
with a location of Vital Records, Inc.
      MOVE MEDIA * stg=tape_ndmp_offsite wherestate=mountableinlib
      wherestatus=ful,fil rem=b checkl=n ovflo="Vital Records,Inc."
      wait=yes
8.    Prepare DRM Plan
      Prepare source=dbb
9.    Migrate disk storage pools.
10.   Reclamation – run against onsite & copy storage pools.
11.   Expire Inventory
      expire inventory wait=yes

Joni Moyer
Highmark