ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: Programmes Guide

2005-04-14 09:09:21
Subject: Antwort: Re: Programmes Guide
From: Karin Dambacher <karin.dambacher AT EMPRISE DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:08:37 +0200
Hi,

what I want to do is: If there is a Restore coming to the tsm server, I
want to start a program before TSM starts the restore to do some work,
like prefetching tapes in a vts.
The restore is started via the tsm client gui, no other way.
In some other products, it is "calling an exit".

Thanks for help and ideas, Karin

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Gesendet von: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
14.04.2005 14:17
Bitte antworten an

An
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Kopie

Thema
Re: Programmes Guide

On Apr 14, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Karin Dambacher wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know, where to find online (the) a TSM programmer's guide?
> Is there a possiblity to get a list of tapes, where are a client's
> data ?
> Not all tapes (I know this select), but if I want to do a "restore
> c:\home" only the tapes I need for that restore?

An often asked question...  See "Restoral preview" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts .  The essential answer is
that there is no way to get a list of the tapes needed for a given
restoral, partly because restoral candidates determination can be so
complex (read up on No Query Restore vs. Standard Restore to appreciate
the complexities), and largely because the running of enterprise level
facilities means that all resources are always available such that you
as a human don't need to know what tapes are needed: the enterprise
software and hardware takes care of all that for us meager humans.

You need to tell us more about what you need in terms of a
"programmer's guide". There isn't one, per se, for TSM in general -
only for the API - in that there's no user programming generally
involved in TSM. The product provides various information gathering
facilities (queries, SQL select, and ODBC) which usually suffice.

    Richard Sims