ADSM-L

Re: Changing copypools

2005-04-11 10:29:19
Subject: Re: Changing copypools
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:29:05 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
>To be more specific, you can not move copypool data to a DIFFERENT
>copypool.  The primary has to be re-copied/backed-up.

Giving this issue some thought, I've come to the conclusion that this
design facet is properly built.

There is not (necessarily) a one-to-one relationship between a primary
storage pool and a copy storage pool. Almost all of my customers back up
data from multiple primary pools to a single copy storage pool. I have
some customers that back up data from one primary pool to multiple copy
pools. Any given copy pool is pretty much an independent entity from any
given primary pool.

The ability to move data from one copy pool to another could turn out to
be an accounting nighmare for the TSM database. Think about it:

PRIMPOOL1-->backs up to COPYPOOL1 only
PRIMPOOL2-->backs up to COPYPOOL2 only
COPYPOOL1
COPYPOOL2

If I can move data from COPYPOOL1 to COPYPOOL2, that would mean that
there is now only a subset of data from PRIMPOOL1 residing in each of
COPYPOOL1 and COPYPOOL2.

And as I described earlier this month, there is a workaround method for
moving data from one primary/copy pool combination to another
primary/copy pool combination.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627