ADSM-L

3583 firmware upgrade failed.

2005-04-10 20:29:07
Subject: 3583 firmware upgrade failed.
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:28:48 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a 3583 to the latest (V3_30_08) firmawre from
V3_10_04.  I originally tried to do this from an AIX V5.2 system that was
SCSI attached to the library.  I tried to do the SCSI upgrade as described
in several different IBM documents.  This upgrade timed out and failed
after 10 minutes stating that the connection had timed out.  We re-tried
but got the same resuults.  Now at this point the library is unusable
since it will not reboot!

I then went on to try to do a firmware update using the serial port.  This
requires the use of a windows box. We used a W2K system and attached a
serial cable (basically a null modem cable) between the two.  I have had
to do this in the past and it worked, but this time it is failing.  The
message returned is:

Received specific board ALIVE.
Error: This download utility is for a IBM 3583 library.  You have a
different library.

This is in fact an IBM 3583 but for some reason it will not allow us to do
the firmware update.

If you have any suggestions on how I can at least get the library to boot
up that would be a great help.  Further, if you have an idea on how to get
the firmware updated that would be even better.

Thank You.