ADSM-L

Re: 8 or 6 character

2005-04-08 05:44:14
Subject: Re: 8 or 6 character
From: Otto Schakenbos <oschakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:43:59 +0200
I just changed it to 6 characters and relabeled all the tapes. Took
about an hour  for 120 tapes.

thnx

TSM_User wrote:

We have found that if you check the tapes into a library that does not read the
last 2 characters then you can not use them.  It is a good idea to use the 6
character configuration.

As an example if you have a tape seen as A00001L1 in an IBM library the TSM DB
will know the tape as this.  When you check it into an STK library as A00001
TSM will not assume it is the same tape at the L1.

We have sites with both IBM 3583's and STK L40's at our hot site we have one of
each as well for recovery. We did not make sure to turn off the reading of the
last two characters so now we can read our STK tapes in the IBM library but not
the other way around.

Maybe if you were in a major pinch there would be a way to update the database
with the help of support but there is no rename volume command in TSM.

Otto Schakenbos <oschakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM> wrote:
today we became our new 3584 (to replace 2 x 7337) and we are of course
very happy. Now the initial adrenaline shock is over and we stopped
drooling I remembered something about 8 and 6 character labels. The
library currently uses 8 character labels, what happens if, in a
disaster recovery scenario for example, I need to use a library that
can only read 6 character label. (which is every non-ibm library if i
recall correctly?)
Am I able to read my volumes in such a library or is it a good idea to
switch to 6 character now for compatibility since it is still relatively
easy to do so at this point? (will need to re-label all my shiny new
volumes but that is ok)
I know it has been posted before but can't find it.

thnx

--
Otto Schakenbos
System Administrator