ADSM-L

Re: Creating DB file on new server

2005-04-07 12:22:49
Subject: Re: Creating DB file on new server
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:22:16 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Jones, Eric J
>I have a new server running TSM 5.2.2 server with AIX 5.2.
>I went to create the data base file which I'm planning 130GB.
>The logical volume was created for 130GB and was called
>/dbaa1vpth0 and large files are turned on.
>The command I initially issued was
>dsmfmt -m -db /dbaa1vpth0/db 130000
>It returned an error that said that the file could not exceed
>68234123 or something close to that.
>What finally worked as I went down in size to 65001
>dsmfmt -m -db /dbaa1vpth0/db 65001 which is 1/2 of the size I
>was expecting.
>I've read the dsmfmt command(Administrator's reference) and I
>did not see a limit.
>Is 65001 a limit or when I do the dsmserv command does it
>double in size for some reason?
>I'm sure it's an obvious question but I'm a little lost of this one.

You're dealing with OS limitations, methinks. There is no limit as far
as dsmfmt is concerned.

However, I would most definitely *not* make my database one logical
volume. You should spread it out among multiple spindles to increase
throughput (the "not all of my eggs in one basket" philosophy).

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627