ADSM-L

Re: Changing copypools

2005-04-05 13:52:28
Subject: Re: Changing copypools
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:52:13 -0500
Robin,

I am not sure your concern is valid.  Why wouldn't the destroyed tape or
for that matter even a single bad file on an otherwise good tape be
caught (and resolved either automatically or manually) during the move
data phase for the primary pool.  If there was a bad tape it would
report it and you could then restore the volume.  Or if it was a bad
file it would also report that if it could not immediately get it from
an on site copy pool.  In either case if you monitored the move data
process and the activity log you would be able to catch the problem and
resolve it long before you ever destroyed the copy pool version.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Robin Sharpe wrote:

Seems to me this process does not guarantee you have everything.

Hypothetical situation:

File A gets backed up from client to Pool A.
File A gets backed up to Copypool B.
FIle A becomes inactive.
Primary tape (in Pool A) gets destroyed, and does not get restored.  now
the only copy is in Copypool B.
THere is no way to recreate the primary copy (except restore volume....
will restore storage pool work?)
If you delete the volume from Copypool B, that version of FIle A is gone
forever.

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           "Miller, Ryan"  |
|         |           <Miller.Ryan@PRI|
|         |           NCIPAL.COM>     |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM: |
|         |           Dist Stor       |
|         |           Manager"        |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           T.EDU>          |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           04/05/2005 11:55|
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to "ADSM: Dist  |
|         |           Stor Manager"   |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 |

 |To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                             |
 |cc:

 |        Re: Changing copypools
                                      |

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I don't know if there is a change in 5.3 as we have not upgraded yet, but I
just went through this process in November/December when we upgraded our
tape environment.  The only option was to backup data from the primary pool
to the new copypool, just like you stated.  The good/bad news(depends on
how you look at it) is...we had 500 TB of data to do this with and over
6000 tapes to delete.  I ended up building command scripts to delete the
volumes, much easier than hitting each on separately.  Also the data copied
much quicker than expected and we were done in 2 months...

Ryan Miller

Principal Financial Group

Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager v4.1