ADSM-L

Can't Define Drive Path

2005-04-04 10:27:13
Subject: Can't Define Drive Path
From: Curtis Stewart <Curtis.Stewart AT LAWSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:27:07 -0500
I recently had to have an LTO2 drive replaced in my STK L-700 tape
library, and I can't create a drive path. It fails with the following
error...

04/04/2005 09:10:57      ANR2017I Administrator 7760 issued command:
DEFINE PATH
                          msptsm01col LTO2-6 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
                          LIBRARY=L700LIB1 DEVICE=/dev/rmt9 ONLINE=YES
                          AUTODETECT=YES  (SESSION: 50073)
04/04/2005 09:10:57      << Message number 8972 not available for language
                          /USR/LIB/NLS/MSG/EN_US/ >> (SESSION: 50073)

I've deleted all the drive paths and the drive definition from TSM without
a problem, and confirmed they were all gone. I also deleted the device
from the OS. I checked the director, and the FC drive is indeed logged
into the SAN with the same WWPN as the previous drive, thanks to the
persistent naming function of the L-700. After I deleted all the paths,
and the drive from AIX, I verified it was indeed gone from them both.
Then, ran cfgmgr to rediscover the drive. It gets discovered with the same
device name as before "/dev/rmt9", and shows up as available. I then,
created the drive definition within TSM.

04/04/2005 08:59:29      ANR2017I Administrator 7760 issued command:
DEFINE DRIVE
                          L700LIB1 lto2-6 ELEMENT=505 ONLINE=YES (SESSION:
49969)

tsm: MSPTSM01COL>q drive l700lib1 lto2-6 f=d

                                Library Name: L700LIB1
                                  Drive Name: LTO2-6
                                 Device Type: UNKNOWN
                                     On-Line: No
                                Read Formats:
                               Write Formats:
                                     Element: 505
                                 Drive State: UNKNOWN
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN:
                               Serial Number:
              Last Update by (administrator): 7760
                       Last Update Date/Time: 04/04/2005 09:15:21
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

I double checked the element number by checking the  physical location
against the element number in the library's remote managment software. So,
I'm sure that's right.

Here's what the drive shows up as in AIX.

rmt9  Available 1s-08-01     LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)

Software Versions
TSM Version:    5.2.4.1
AIX 5.2 ML4
Atape.driver               8.4.1.0  COMMITTED  IBM AIX Enhanced Tape and

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

curtis.stewart AT lawson DOT com