ADSM-L

Re: 3583 Meltdown

2005-04-01 15:00:28
Subject: Re: 3583 Meltdown
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:00:08 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Curtis Stewart
>Here's an interesting little piece of activity log from one of
>my remote
>TSM servers.... Gotta like TapeAlert.  Other than being an
>amusing way to
>start my day, everything checks out OK and I can't believe it.
>
>1. The 6AM job is a copy stgpool operation.
>2. Despite the TapeAlert warnings, there were no stuck tapes.
>3.  L20014  wasn't "snapped" when visually  inspected.
>4. The library wouldn't mount tapes even though no drives were
>being used.
>5. Stopped TSM, rebooted the library, started TSM and all was
>well again.
>6. Audited each volume reported below without a single failure.
>
>TSM Server: 5.2.4.1
>OS      AIX 5.2
>Library 3583 with 3 LTO2 drives (SCSI)
>
>I don't really have a question, just thought it was odd and
>someone might have insight.

My first inclination is to not trust the TapeAlert messages'
doom-and-gloom pronouncements.

That being said, I actually don't know a lot about TapeAlert, other than
the fact that in older versions of TSM (before version 5) TSM and
TapeAlert did not work and play well together. It is possible that the
relationship has improved, since one of TSM 5.2's selling points was
"improved TapeAlert support".

It sounds like TapeAlert does something to stop TSM from performing its
operations until the "something" is cleared or TSM is restarted.

IBM Certified Advanced Deployment Professional
Tivoli Storage Management Solutions 2005
Office 262.521.5627