ADSM-L

curious behavior

2005-03-31 13:35:21
Subject: curious behavior
From: "Tyree, David" <david.tyree AT SGMC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:19:43 -0500
(Running TSM 5.2.2 on Win2k with 4 LTO2 drives in a Powervault 136T)

I've been seeing this for quite a while on our system. It's not an issue
but it sure does look strange.

Unless I'm missing something here, if you are running a process that is
copying data from the tapepool to the copypool shouldn't the results of
a Q mount show that you have a tape with R/O and another one showing
R/W?

I've seen this in other processes that involve multiple drives. If you
do the q proc it tells you where it is reading from and where it is
writing to. But if you go back and do a q mount then it doesn't match up
with the info from the q proc.

I know which tape is in which drive and I know that the data is actually
going where I want it to but the q mount info kinda startles every once
in a while.

As you can see here, it looks like the q mo is telling that I'm writing
to both tapes. The q proc tells me otherwise. I've done a quick series
of q mounts back to back and the drives always show the same. It looks
like I'm writing to both drives in this case.

tsm: BACKUP1>q mo

ANR8330I LTO volume 000026L2 is mounted R/W in drive DRV2 (mt0.3.0.5),
status: IN USE.

ANR8330I LTO volume 000033L2 is mounted R/W in drive DRV3 (mt0.4.0.5),
status: IN USE.

ANR8334I         2 matches found.

tsm: BACKUP1>q pr

 Process     Process Description      Status

  Number

--------     --------------------

     582     Backup Storage Pool      Primary Pool NEWTAPEPOOL, Copy
Pool NEWCOPYPOOL,

                                       Files Backed Up: 2, Bytes Backed
Up: 16,792,685,

                                       Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable

                                       Current Physical File (bytes):
59,738,060,746

                                       Current input volume: 000026L2.
Current output

                                       volume: 000033L2.

Even if I have all four drives churning away on different processes the
q mo will tell me one thing and the q proc will tell me something else.
It's completely random. If a drive shows up as "right" for one process
then the next time it gets used for another process then it might show
up "wrong".

Again, everything is actually working as it should it just looks
strange.

Is this a bug or a "feature"?

Thanks...

David Tyree
Enterprise Backup Administrator
South Georgia Medical Center
229.333.1155

Confidential Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
copies of the original message.