ADSM-L

Re: Backing up a 150GB Oracle DB on a datawarehouse server

2005-03-29 09:24:30
Subject: Re: Backing up a 150GB Oracle DB on a datawarehouse server
From: "Leonard, Christopher A" <christopher-leonard AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:24:11 -0600
Not to nitpick, but you'd be better off putting the tablespaces into
backup mode one at a time in your shell script, because Oracle has to do
additional (larger) logging when a tablespace is in backup mode.
Basically it has to log OS block images instead of DB page or data
images.  Anyway, if you happen to hit a period when a tablespace is
backup mode and someone is loading into it, you can generate a terrific
amount of redo log.  So rather than put all your tablespaces into backup
mode at once, it's better to have your shell script do something like
this pseudo-code:

For each tablespace t {
   put t into backup mode;
   backup t using OS commands;
   take t out of backup mode;
   }
backup your archive logs, pfiles, spfiles, pwfiles, etc.;

RMAN is a great help with hot database backups as well as the
incremental copies that have already been mentioned, by the way.
Regardless of whether you use RMAN, though, hot backups will require
that the database be run in ARCHIVELOG mode (shutdown immediate; startup
mount; alter database archivelog; alter database open;) and that means
that you need to set up archive log backups also.

Hope this helps,
Chris