ADSM-L

5.2.2 or upgrade was [ADSM-L] TSM Scheduler

2005-03-24 08:11:40
Subject: 5.2.2 or upgrade was [ADSM-L] TSM Scheduler
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:11:23 -0500
Regarding your note about whether to stay at 5.2.2 or upgrade, I have the
same question.
We've recently went to 5.2.2 and had a consultant in here for the better
part of last week helping us out.
We are running it on OS/400 PASE (and have discovered some limitations
with that).
We may be going to Linux on the i5 - iSeries - AS/400.
However, my boss heard from somewhere to stay on 5.2.2 as it's a bit more
stable.
Those in the iSeries world know us as people who like to stay on the
bleeding edge with the latest OS releases and fixes.  But maybe my boss
has been bled out a little too often lately, or, we don't have the
experience with TSM that we do with OS/400.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
03/23/2005 06:59 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] TSM Scheduler

Good Evening.
I'm running TSM 5.2.2 server on a AIX 5.2 machine.
I have clients running AIX 5.2, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 with TSM
5.2.2 client.
What I'm seeing is occasionally the clients that are running with a
client schedule on the server don't kick off.  All I see in the server
activity log is that the clients missed their schedule, nothing about
contacting the clients.  Nothing shows up in the client logs so I assume
they were never contacted.  If I stop and start TSM it starts they all
start running again.  It does not happen often but 1 day when I 'm doing
my daily checks none of the scheduled clients run.  All the clients that
don't run scheduled events run fine(cron job or windows scheduled
event).
Is there an easy way to get the scheduler running when it gets into this
mode without stopping and starting TSM?

On another note.
Should we consider upgrading the server to a later version than 5.2.2 or
stay at this version since it seems to be running well for the most
part.  I know in the past they tended to stay with 1 version and at some
point TSM became unsupported which I don't want to get to that point.
Also is their a later version of TSM(5.2.3, 5.2.4, other) that the
clients should be running at, at this point.  I know the question is
some what general and open to personal preference but I was just looking
for input.
We are looking to bring in SOLARIS 10 and Linux and would like to avoid
problems down the road.

Thanks for all your help,
Eric