ADSM-L

Re: Spontaneous reclamation

2005-03-21 10:57:27
Subject: Re: Spontaneous reclamation
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:53:37 -0500
I'll ask the obvious.  Any chance you copypool reached 100% triggering a
reclaim?

>>> Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM 03/21/05 10:17 AM >>>
TSM Server 5.1.9.0 on AIX 5.2 ML-4
TSM Client mix of 5.1.6.0 and 5.1.7.0 mostly on Windows

This morning I found a primary storage pool tape "pending"  as the
result
of reclamation that launched spontaneously just after midnight.  The
logs
show no evidence of anyone issuing any commands to launch that
operation.
I'm trying to figure out how that happened since we maintain pretty
tight
control over the TSM maintenance processes.

Specifically, on our system, maintenance occurs weekly.  On Monday at
9:00
am we run expiration which of course triggers reclamation of the
primary
pools.  Expiration completes late Monday afternoon with all primary
reclamation completing sometime late Monday night to early Tuesday
morning.  We leave our copypool reclaim point set at 100% throughout
this
process.  On Tuesday at 6:00 pm we launch copypool reclamation, after
which the reclaim point is returned to 100%.

That is our entire maintenance schedule.  No other expirations or
reclamations are scheduled to occur at any time.

So what could have provoked a primary tape reclamation at midnight,
approximately nine hours before the start of the regular maintenance
cycle?

Just curious.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator