ADSM-L

Re: "Freezing" a node's data - revisiting 'Need to save permanent cop y of all files currently being stored'

2005-03-16 12:38:47
Subject: Re: "Freezing" a node's data - revisiting 'Need to save permanent cop y of all files currently being stored'
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:38:36 -0500
The advantage of using EXPORT:

The "frozen" copy of the data  belonging to the old "water" are removed
from the TSM server and tape library.
No new DB entries are created (well, 1, for the export tape), while
moving "water" to a new domain as "ice" means the data and db entries
are recreated when the new "water" backs up again.

The disadvantage of using EXPORT:

You can't access, or view, the frozen data.
The data is out there on a tape, but you can't look at it, or do
anything with it, without doing an IMPORT first (and creating all the DB
entries and taking the tape space on primary volumes).

So which one you use depends on whether realistically need to ever
access the "frozen" data again.

If I were doing the export, FIRST I would do a select on the backups
table for "water", and dump a list of all its files into a flat file.
Retain the flat file so that you at least have a "table of contents" for
what is on the export tape.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)