ADSM-L

Re: unsucccessful DR test

2005-03-14 17:42:40
Subject: Re: unsucccessful DR test
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:42:24 -0500
Allen -

There's really nothing to dispute... TSM asks the Library Manager to
mount the tape - but, naturally, TSM has to believe that the tape is in
the library in order to want to request the mount. When TSM restarts it
performs the equivalent of an Audit Library, to assure that its last
knowledge of the library's tape inventory is the same. If the library
says that a tape isn't there, then TSM has to believe that and so deems
the tape(s) unavailable.

The original question involved a pondering, as I read it, as to whether
TSM knows where the tapes are in the 3494. TSM doesn't get involved in
that: it's up to the 3494 and its database to keep track of that. This
relieves TSM of a lot of overhead, as compared with what it has to deal
with in a SCSI type library.

  Richard Sims