ADSM-L

Re: If we all complain, do you think they will add the WEB gui back?

2005-03-11 11:32:02
Subject: Re: If we all complain, do you think they will add the WEB gui back?
From: Adrie van Tuyl <vantuyl AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:31:02 +0100
Thans for your post, some of my thougths to it:

At 19:19 3/10/2005, you wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am an IBM Business Partner.  I have been listening to what everyone
has been saying about the ISC/AC.  I, also, have some concerns about
this since I not only have to use it I have to be able to sell it to

talking, but they were not promising anything.  The biggest problem I
see with the ISC/AC is not the application itself, change is inevitable
and in fact in this case somewhat overdue

Is that so? Albeit overdue, that does not justify the changes we are
confronted with.
Besides from the functionality of the ISC/AC one of the biggest problems
is the ridiculous amount of resources needed to run the ISC.
We don't want that kind of applications on the TSM server (see also
posts from others) So you need to install a new server just
to administer your TSM server.

 As you all have probably guessed by now the ISC/AC
isn't going away any time soon, nor should it.

Why not?
Ridiculous statement.

We have been long
overdue for a improved GUI admin interface.

That may be so, but pouring it into ISC is not the solution we waited for.

ISC/AC environment.  Like most of you I thought the command line
interface available through the ISC/AC was useless at best, well I
predict that will be greatly improved.  It will have much more space,
better fonts, just hit enter to get the command to run (I really hated
clicking the submit button!),  and command recall.

This is the least to be concerned about.
A good CLI is available in all client versions now.
(dsmadmc is a perfect command line and you can change the fonts yourself!)

think it will.  And of course one of the biggest complaints is all the
resources that it needs both during install and when it is running
normally.  I think the install process will be cleaned so that you can
install it with under 100M of temp space and  you will have an
environment variable to tell it where to find that temp space.  They are
aware and are actively reducing the amount of system resources, i.e.
memory and CPU cycles, that the ISC/AC will use when running.  This will
really help those of you running a single TSM server and wanting to run
the ISC/AC on the same box as your TSM server.

ISC is greatly overkill.
Maybe the can reduce the resources a little, but it is and will be java.
There are complaints that the ISC is slow now. What if the resources used
are reduced? You can do the thinking....

 Overall the ISC/AC is
maturing and will continue to do so at a very accelerated pace for the
foreseeable future.  Your comments and concerns about it are being heard
and appropriate action are being taken.  I would encourage all of you to
continue to give your feedback on the ISC/AC on this list and through
your BP's as well.

We do hope so that our concerns are being heard. But your earlier
statement does not give a lot of hope. (The ISC is here to stay....)

In the past few years I have grown to appreciate TSM very, very much.
The 'old' webgui was maybe not that intuitive, but I learned how TSM works,
and than suddenly you understand the webgui perfectly.
If you take the time to learn TSM, the webgui is perfect.

I am sorry that this whole thing overshadows the good TSM product.

I hope for two options:

- Just get back the webgui, with the new enhancements
- Release the Admin API (in line with IBM's over-all policy to support Open
source)

indeed (I quote):
>>Please IBM stop treating us like mushrooms and let in the light.

With regards,
Adrie