ADSM-L

If we all complain, do you think they will add the WEB gui back?

2005-03-10 10:24:30
Subject: If we all complain, do you think they will add the WEB gui back?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:24:10 -0500
>       I realise there are other threads about this issue but for those of
> you who don't know yet, the WEB GUI interface into the TSM server is
> officially gone as of version 5.3. It's been replaced by something called
> the Integrated Solutions Console (ISC) which, in my opinion (and many
> others) is almost useless.
>       Do you think if we all contact our IBM reps, they could possibly add
> the WEB GUI back into the product? I know it's a long shot but I imagine if
> enough of us say something, they might actually listen. Personally I am
> more of a command line person anyways but for our Help Desk people and
> other casual users, it's a whole new learning curve.

At one of my past jobs there were a number of infrastructure initiatives
that delivered poor service after enormous sums of money were spent. The
managers' defense of those initiatives sounded remarkably like IBM's
defense of the ISC. My sense is that senior IBM people have already
put so much of their prestiege and credability on the line backing the
ISC that they cannot afford to admit that it is a failure. They might
agree to bringing back the old Web interface temporarily as a way of
supporting a phased transition to the new interface. I don't think
they would ever agree to bring the old interface back permanently.