ADSM-L

Re: Volume sequence

2005-03-10 08:22:44
Subject: Re: Volume sequence
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:03:12 -0500
On Mar 9, 2005, at 9:51 PM, Norita binti Hassan wrote:

I've tried that script, but I need to know the file sequence.
Eg. I have a large database of 170GB.It should occupied more than 1
tape.
How do I know which tape is the first one, and which is next .

There is no sequence numbering of filespace volumes: there doesn't need
to be, as restorals may be for individual files or directories which
may be on various tapes. TSM catalogs the location of aggregates of
files on their containing tapes: it knows where to get files when it
needs them.

For your purposes, once you know the volumes associated with a node
(volumeusage info) then you can simply sort by Last Write Date. But,
again, such sequencing is artificial and of no real value.

   Richard Sims