ADSM-L

Re: JR- Client Option set vs dsm.opt (sys)

2005-03-08 10:43:12
Subject: Re: JR- Client Option set vs dsm.opt (sys)
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:42:45 +0100
Using only thoose options would make the difference between using client
optionsets and dsm.opt entries fairly small due to the fact all of thoose
options are static ones. I always use client options sets when having the
option as this minimizes manual administration of dsm.opt/dsm.sys
files(all settings can be controlled centrally).

However, most of the times, I also use global include/excludes where I try
to redirect certain kind of data to different management classes.

In your case, I would say it wont differ using a predefined
dsm.opt/dsm.sys file or a client optionset.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

JR Trimark <j.r.trimark AT AURORA DOT ORG>
2005-03-08 16:38
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
JR- Client Option set vs dsm.opt (sys)

We are debating whether or not to use client option sets in addition to
the dsm.opt file.  A little history is needed for discussion sake:
We are backing up data only, which is typically on another drive.
Each server can have a different data drive letter depending on the
application requirements.
The include/excludes for each system will be different.
We are backing up AIX, NetWare, Linux and Windows.

I have looked through the client option set valid commands and came up
with only a handful that I would use, the remaining ones would go in the
dsm.opt (sys) file:
changing retries
dirmc
quiet