ADSM-L

Re: Management class Revamp

2005-03-07 10:43:43
Subject: Re: Management class Revamp
From: "Meadows, Andrew" <AMeadows AT BMI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:44:22 -0600
Thank you for your reply.
I have read the articles you refer to as well as the documentation and
thus my confusion.

Here is some clarification.
I have a single TSM server. I am moving clients from one domain to a
multiple domain structure within TSM.

Test Scenario Clarified.
Client was backing up to the Original Domain. There was a management
class within that domain called 15yrarchive that I ran a test archive
to.
I ran a query (select archives.node_name as "NODE_NAME",
substr(char(archives.archive_date), 1, 16) as "ARCHIVE_DATE",
archives.description as "DESCRIPTION", archives.class_name as
"CLASS_NAME"from archives group by
archives.node_name,archives.archive_date,archives.description,archives.c
lass_name) to show the management class that the client's archives were
associated with and received this:
NODEA               2005-03-02 11:18       Archive Date:
15YRARCHIVE
                                               03/02/2005

I then moved the client to it's new domain (upd node nodea
domain=newdomain). I ran an incremental backup on the client and backup
objects rebound as they should have. I then ran expiration, and re-ran
the query. I received the following:
NODEA               2005-03-02 11:18       Archive Date:
15YRARCHIVE
                                               03/02/2005

Same thing.
The old domain will not be deleted just not actively used, I am
beginning to think that if I keep the old domain around the data will
keep the management class association that it was backed up with.
The articles are contradicting themselves which is adding to my
confusion, from below:
"The Admin Ref manual says that ARCHRETention comes into effect when
either of the following conditions occurs:
- The management class to which a file is bound no longer exists, and
the default management class does not contain an archive copy group.
- The archive copy group is deleted from the management class to which a
file is bound and the default management class does not contain an
archive copy group."

>From this I can gather that if the old domain stays in place the data
will stay associated with the old management class.

However from technote 1176515,
"In case a megmt-class is not defined in the new Domain, the
grace_period (defined as ARCHRETention in the Domain-definition) would
apply."

Again any help you have on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew