ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3.0.2 WEB GUI missing ...

2005-03-03 02:23:55
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3.0.2 WEB GUI missing ...
From: Rainer Tammer <tsm AT SPG.SCHULERGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:23:28 +0100
Hello,
I fully agree. The ISC is one of the worst software products I have ever
seen.
We would have never bought ADSM/TSM with this user interface.

It would be a wise decision for IBM to bring back the old WEB ADMIN GUI.

Bye
 Rainer Tammer

P.S.: We are using ADSM/TSM since V1 Server on VM (/390) and now on AIX...

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

Now that I have it fully running, I have to agree that this product is
horrible and slow (even on the new dual-processor 3Ghz 2GB RAM system we
bought just for it).

I work with two other engineers who have been working with TSM for
anything from 6-months to 9+ years.  Both (and myself) have spent
countless hours just trying to figure out something as simple as giving
another "user id" full administration authority in ISC. After trying more
than a dozen different things, we gave up (thank goodness for TSMManager
!).

If we as engineers can't figure it out....how on earth will our operators
figure it out when they could not fully grasp the simple web-gui. At least
with the web-gui, I could talk them through the 4-clicks it usually took
to get to almost everything they needed to work with (and TSMManager has
made it even simpler).

The engineer with the most experience made the comment: "If this had been
the management interface when we first were looking at ADSM(TSM), we would
NOT have purchased ADSM".  He used to think the web-gui was cumbersome (he
always liked the stand-alone gui, best), but after spending 2-3 hours with
ISC, he has changed his mind.

I understand the issue of change and getting used to something new. But,
to call this product "intuitive" is a joke !

Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
03/02/2005 10:19 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM 5.3.0.2 WEB GUI missing ...

                I followed the ISC/AC thread and thought that I'd better
get it
installed on my TSM test host to see how it runs. I must agree with the
opinions I've seen here, that the new interface is a BIG step backwards
in usability. I've been doing TSM for 9 years and this new interface is
the worst I've seen.

                Like others, I am glad I know the command line, otherwise
would be pulling out my hair trying to get things done.

                Bad Tivoli, no biscuit for you.

Ben