ADSM-L

Re: How do we use TDPOSYNC when not using and RMAN catalog

2005-02-25 15:21:07
Subject: Re: How do we use TDPOSYNC when not using and RMAN catalog
From: Michael Prix <michael.prix AT RS6000.DARKTECH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:20:46 +0100
On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 14:53 +0000, Phil Jones wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We have a situation where we were using TDP for Oracle\ RMAN and the old
> backups were not expiring.
> We have now solve the expiration problem on the current backups, but cannot
> expire the old backups already removed from Oracle (please excuse my
> terminology - I'm not a dba).
>
> Our dba says:
>
> How can we use TDPOSYNC  if we are not using an RMAN catalog?

If I understand you correctly, you have differences between the backups
registered in the controlfile and backups stored in TSM.

do, as an oracle user:

rman target <SID> nocatalog
RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance type 'sbt_tape'; # parms ... if
needed
RMAN> CROSSCHECK BACKUP;

you will find backups as available, unavailable, expired.

The unavailable backups will be changed by RMAN to expired.
The expired backups cann be deleted with

RMAN> DELETE EXPIRED;

TDPOSYNC is only useable with an RMAN-DB, it syncs the RMAN-DB, the
controlfile and TSM. Yes, even if using a RMAN-DB, the bakups taken will
be stored in the controlfile.

Be aware of the fact that TDP for ORacle backups are stored in the TSM
as backups, not archives. Each backup is a unique file, so expiration
will not take place from TSM. You have to expire the backups by means of
RMAN-Commands or SET-options.

--
Michael Prix
WINDOWS: Work Is Never Done On Windows Systems.