ADSM-L

Re: MS Cluster backup problem

2005-02-24 15:16:31
Subject: Re: MS Cluster backup problem
From: Uwe Schreiber <Uwe.us.Schreiber AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:15:06 +0100
hi david,

i'am faced with this problem sometimes too.

i solved it always using the follwing way.

1. stop the service configured in the cluster as a "generic service" ....
normaly already done by the failure.
2. within the configuration for this "generic service" -> delete the
configured registry-key replicated by the cluster
3. on the cluster-node, where the resource-group is currently running, in
which the generic service is configured start the tsm-cli by
        dsmc q mg -optfile=<opt-file which is used>     (any other command
is working also)

        now you should be prompted for the user/node-id and the according
password -> type them in

4. now the password should be stored within the registry.
5. start the configured generic service wihtin the cluster administrator
        now the service should start and stay online
6. now update the configuration of this generic services with the recently
deleted registry for registry replication

-> now you can switch the resource group from this cluster-node to another
and the service should start on the other node and stay online too.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Uwe Schreiber

David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG
Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
24.02.2005 20:38
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
MS Cluster backup problem

I have a MS CLuster, W2K SP4 with TSM client 5.1.5.0 connecting to TSM
server 5.2.3.0.
I have had running for a year or so and it has Cluster services.  I
setup via Cluster backup method
in TSM manual and it has worked fine for a year.  Last week the Vendor
upgraded this system to
Active Directory.  Looks like the system works and my TSM backups of
local (C&D) disks works o.k.

However, my TSM Cluster services were deleted and I can't get them back
in operation.
Basically, I use dsmcutil to create the local service - just like in
the TSM manual appendix.
(I have a file, tsmcluster.bat that I have and just copy around and
change names for server
and cluster I am using).  Then I create the Cluster service to connect
to it.  (I have done this
dozens of times so am very familiar with the process.  When I try to
bring the TSM Cluster service
ONLINE, it comes up for a few seconds and then fails.  Review of
dsmerror.log for this cluster shows
basically "password  read from registry failed".  We checked and when I
copy the registry key
as part of creating the cluster service, ,there indeed is no password
in the registry key.  We tried
totally deleting the key several levels up and trying again.  The
nodename and tsmservername are
 created, but not the password.  Watching the output of the dsmcutil
command in window shows
evertything looks normal, including setting registry password.

The account I am logged into this machine with has both Enterprise and
local Admin rights.
Also, all the cluster resources are owned by this node at the time I do
all this.

My Windows Admin doesn't know what problem is either.

Any suggestions?

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.