ADSM-L

Re: ? how to protect LTO media shipped offsite to Iron Mountain ?

2005-02-21 21:52:50
Subject: Re: ? how to protect LTO media shipped offsite to Iron Mountain ?
From: Miles Purdy <purdym AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:55:11 -0600
We also use Iron Mountain, without any complaints. We put the LTO tapes in
their clear white cases and then in a soft "pizza" bag to be shipped off site.
I have had problems with the leader pins falling out of the cartridges - I
don't know if this is related to them being shipped offsite though.

miles

>>> Jim.Owen AT YALE DOT EDU 21-Feb-05 8:12:44 PM >>>
How do you protect LTO media shipped offsite to Iron Mountain?

We currently ship all backupsets offsite to Iron Mountain
on 3590 J cartridges w/ no noticeable problems; we just pack
as many tapes as will fit tightly into one of Iron Mountain's
metal shipping cases.

We've been told that LTO cartridges are much more susceptible
to damage and have never ejected or shipped any of them offsite.

I'm thinking any ejected LTO tapes should at least be put back
into their original plastic cases before being packed (how?)
into a Iron Mountain shipping case, but what do you do?

Have you had any problems shipping LTO tapes offsite?
Thanks for sharing your experience and advice.
--
Jim.Owen AT Yale DOT Edu   (203.432.6693)