ADSM-L

Re: Expiration/inactive node

2005-02-19 13:37:53
Subject: Re: Expiration/inactive node
From: Bob Booth - CITES <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:37:41 -0600
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:26:33AM -0800, Sam Sheppard wrote:
> Due to a legal investigation, I have been asked to 'freeze' the backups
> on one of my client machines.  We removed the client from the schedule
> and changed the NODENAME parm in the dsm.opt file to specify a new
> name.
>
> My question regards expiration processing for the 'frozen' node.  My
> understanding is that, as long as the client doesn't connect to the TSM
> server, no expiration will take place.  Is this indeed the case or is
> there still some expiration of files on this system that will take
> place during expire inventory processing?  Will a subsequent backup be
> the only way to trigger expiration?

Expiration will still 'delete' inactive items based on the policy domain
mgmtclass (copy group) settings.  If you truly need to freeze all activity
for this node, including not removing files/directories that have been
marked inactive, you may have to create a new domain with unlimited
retention for all copies inactive.

It is true however, that if another backup isn't performed, the files that
are now marked as active, will stay that way, until the administrator
deletes them with a delete filespace command.

hth,

bob