ADSM-L

Re: Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server

2005-02-16 10:02:09
Subject: Re: Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:01:48 -0800
I can't remember but if you said you tried this or not but if you put dsm2.opt
in a differen folder like at \Tivoli\TSM\ not \baclient do you still get this
behavior. That is a difference between you and I.  For what ever reason I've
always created a seperate folder for my other nodes with their own sched and
error log.  For instance with clusters I put this on a cluster drive.  Just a
thought anyway, I'm going to try this myself today as well.

Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA> wrote:Hi Andy,

This is interesting. (Warning, long message)

I tried doing this tonight on my XP SP2 system with 5.3.0 client to
demonstrate, since I don't have a server handy (will try with 2003 server
tommorow hopefully).

I didn't see the behavior I previously described. But the behavior I did
see was even more interesting. Below I'll describe the steps, in order. In
the places where I break out into console log entries, this is the point
during the install where that log item showed up in the console.

Here's what I did:
XP SP2 system with TSM 5.3.0 installed, no services installed.
Two nodes - MATHILDA and BOOGA (hey, it's late)
Two optfiles:

dsm.opt, default location:
nodename mathilda
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
schedmode prompted
TCPSERVERADDRESS xxxxxxxxx
schedlogretention 7
errorlogretention 7
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

dsm2.opt, default location:
nodename booga
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
schedmode prompted
TCPSERVERADDRESS xxxxxxxxx
schedlogretention 7
errorlogretention 7
MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

A. Install Acceptor #1
1. Startup GUI
2. Setup Wizard, check both install web client and scheduler
3. Install new acceptor
4. Named "TSM Client Acceptor" (default name)
5. default dsm.opt file (in the tsm\baclient directory)

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6664 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4496)).
ANR0403I Session 6664 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
--end console log--

6. http port 1581
7. Node MATHILDA, Pass MATHILDA, check validation
8. Start with System account, start manually
9. Named "TSM Remote Client Agent" (default name)
10. No revocation
11. Do not start now
12. Finish.

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6665 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4510)).
ANR0403I Session 6665 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
ANR0406I Session 6666 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4511)).
ANR0403I Session 6666 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
--end console log--

13. Popup indicates installed.

B. Install Scheduler #1
1. Install new scheduler
2. Named "TSM Client Scheduler" (default name), Local, with CAD
3. Select Acceptor defined above
4. leave log names blank to take default, uncheck event logging
5. Finish.

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6667 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4516)).
ANR0403I Session 6667 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
ANR0406I Session 6668 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4517)).
ANR0403I Session 6668 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
ANR0406I Session 6669 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4518)).
ANR0403I Session 6669 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
--end console log--

6. Popup indicates Installed.

C. Install Acceptor #2
1. Startup GUI
2. Setup Wizard, check both install web client and scheduler
3. Install new acceptor
4. Named "TSM Client Acceptor - BOOGA"
5. dsm2.opt file (in the tsm\baclient directory)

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6670 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4519)).
ANR0403I Session 6670 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
--end console log--

(note that it was Mathilda that just connected, not Booga, even though we
just pointed it at the dsm2.opt file which has Booga as the nodename)

6. http port 1583
7. Node BOOGA, Pass BOOGA, check validation
8. Start with System account, start manually
9. Named "TSM Remote Client Agent - BOOGA"
10. No revocation
11. Do not start now
12. Finish.

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6671 started for node BOOGA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4534)).
ANR0403I Session 6671 ended for node BOOGA (WinNT).
ANR2841W Server is NOT IN COMPLIANCE with license terms.
ANR0406I Session 6672 started for node BOOGA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4535)).
ANR0403I Session 6672 ended for node BOOGA (WinNT).
ANR2841W Server is NOT IN COMPLIANCE with license terms.

--end console log--

13. Popup indicates Installed.

B. Install Scheduler #2
1. install new scheduler
2. Named "TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA"
3. Select Acceptor defined above
4. select c:\temp\dsmched.log and dsmerror.log, no event logging
5. Finish.

--console log--
ANR0406I Session 6678 started for node BOOGA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4541)).
ANR0403I Session 6678 ended for node BOOGA (WinNT).
ANR0406I Session 6679 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4542)).
ANR0403I Session 6679 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
ANR0406I Session 6680 started for node MATHILDA (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip
142.163.252.132(4543)).
ANR0424W Session 6680 for node MATHILDA (WinNT) refused - invalid password
submitted.
ANR0403I Session 6680 ended for node MATHILDA (WinNT).
--end console log--

(Note that first attempt is Booga, subsequent attempts Mathilda)

6. Popup Error message labeled DSM:
Error 2 establishing TSM API session: .
The password couldn't be authenticated with the TSM server

7. Click on OK, then new popup indicates Installed.

----------------------
Output of dsmcutil list:

Command: List Installed TSM Client Services
Machine: MATHILDA(Local Machine)

Installed TSM Client Services:

1. TSM Client Acceptor
2. TSM Client Acceptor - BOOGA
3. TSM Client Scheduler
4. TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA
5. TSM Remote Client Agent
6. TSM Remote Client Agent - BOOGA

6 TSM Client Services were located.

----------------------
Output of dsmcutil query /name:"TSM Client Acceptor - BOOGA":

Connecting to service 'TSM Client Acceptor - BOOGA' ...

Service Configuration/Status:

Service Name : TSM Client Acceptor - BOOGA
Logon Account : LocalSystem
Start Type : Demand
Current Status : Stopped

TSM Client Service Registry Settings:

Client Service Type = Client Acceptor Service
Client Directory = "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcad.exe"
Partner Service = TSM Remote Client Agent - BOOGA
Cad Schedule Service = TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA
Options file = C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm2.opt
Event Logging = YES
TSM Client Node = BOOGA
Comm Protocol = (value not currently set)
Server = (value not currently set)
Server Port = (value not currently set)
HTTP Port = 1583
Secure HTTP Port = (value not currently set)
Web Ports = (value not currently set)
Schedule Log = (value not currently set)
Error Log = (value not currently set)

----------------------
Output of dsmcutil query /name:"TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA":

Connecting to service 'TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA' ...

Service Configuration/Status:

Service Name : TSM Client Scheduler - BOOGA
Logon Account : LocalSystem
Start Type : Demand
Current Status : Stopped

TSM Client Service Registry Settings:

Client Service Type = Client Scheduler Service
Client Directory = "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsmcsvc.exe"
Options file = C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm2.opt
Event Logging = NO
TSM Client Node = MATHILDA
Comm Protocol = (value not currently set)
Server = (value not currently set)
Server Port = (value not currently set)
Schedule Log = c:\temp\dsmsched.log
Error Log = c:\temp\dsmerror.log
Cluster Enabled = (value not currently set)
Cluster Name = (value not currently set)

------------------------

If I start the service right now, the BOOGA service indeed connects using
Mathilda's nodename (and Mathilda's password). Very odd. If I go back in
and *edit* the service and change the node back to BOOGA then it works fine
after that. I won't bother with the console output at that point, because
this is a whole different ballgame to the original behavior I was previously
discussing.

Tommorow I'll try this with a 2003 server to see if I can demonstrate the
original behavior I was talking about, but clearly something is amis
regardless....

regards,

Paul