ADSM-L

Re: Using multiple client service instances on Windows server

2005-02-15 23:34:45
Subject: Re: Using multiple client service instances on Windows server
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:34:31 -0800
Both Perl and VBScript provide very easy ways to create shortcuts.  In the
learning VBScripting in a weekend book one of the example scripts you write
(code is all there) is to create a shortcut.  Remember VBScript is on every
Win2K and above server for you. I like Perl but I've done alot in VBScript.

Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA> wrote:Quoting Steve Harris :

> Paul,
>
> When you install a second windows service, how do you automate the install of
> a second set of icons into the start menu? I'm struggling with this at the
> moment

I'm afraid I haven't found a way to automate that process - I just manually
copy a shortcut, and go in and add the -optfile flag to it. Not exactly
conducive to a silent-install rollout... :( Fortunately, generally the only
systems I ever need to do a dual-node install on are exception boxes rather
than the norm (ie. clusters, exchange, sql, etc)

regards,

Paul

wrote:
> [...]
> > multiple client scheduler services on a server. A ticket was opened with
> > IBM and the final word came back that there was indeed a bug, the apar
> was
> > opened, and we were told it would be resolved. This week I've encoutered
> > the same situation, so I'm wondering if anyone has also noticed this
> > behavior? I no longer have the apar number of the original ticket, so I
> > can't check to see the apar's status.
> >
> > When installing a scheduler service (with apropriate cad, etc) you must
> > supply the dsm.opt file fo the service to use. For the first nodename on
> > the server, this is typically the Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt file. When
> > installing the second set of services for an alternate nodename, you must
> > supply an alternate dsm.opt file.
> >
> > If you run a dsmadmc -console while starting the CAD, you may notice
> that,
> > when the scheduler service contacts the TSM Server, it touches the server
> > twice. Under normal circumstances, this is just something I shrugged off
> > as an 'interesting' thing.
> >
> > However, after the second service instance is installed, when starting up
> > the CAD, I noticed that the the first of those two connections was using
> > the wrong nodename - instead of connecting to the TSM server with the
> > nodename of the second service, it connected with the nodename of the
> > first service. The second connection attempt then proceeded to use the
> > correct nodename. Not knowing exactly what information is sent on each of
> > those connections, I do not know the implications of this.
> >
> > Basically what was happening was that when the scheduler service first
> > starts it grabbed the default dsm.opt location, instead of using the
> > dsm.opt file defined for that service. By the time it makes it's second
> > connection attempt, it's read the correct dsm.opt file.
> >
> > The temporary band-aid was to configure the first scheduler service to
> use
> > a *non-standard* dsm.opt - the result being that when the second service
> > tried to connect using the default location, it failed to find a dsm.opt
> > file there, and simply connected sucessfully on the second attempt, using
> > the correct dsm.opt file.
> >
> > More recently, I've noticed that when this situation occurs, if you set
> > the first service to use a non-standard dsm.opt file, during the install
> > process I initially get an error message stating that the service 'Could
> > not find c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt' , even though
> > that's not the dsm.opt file I told it to read. The service then goes and
> > sucessfully installs. *shrug*.
> >
> > It doesn't appear to be causing any real grief, but I'm wondering if I'm
> > the only one seeing this behavior or not, and if anyone may know of any
> > genuine grief this could cause?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Paul

> > Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'

***
> This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for
> the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not
> waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s),
> or if it is transmitted/received in error.
>
> Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
> email is prohibited. It may be subject to a statutory duty of
> confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email
> in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
> return email. You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies
> produced.

***

paul AT fielding DOT ca
http://www.fielding.ca