ADSM-L

Re: Offsite reclamation question? [ LONG ]

2005-02-12 11:10:54
Subject: Re: Offsite reclamation question? [ LONG ]
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:10:44 -0500
==> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:45:29 -0500, Sung Y Lee <sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM>
said:

> I thought about this question. The answer is maybe in my opinion.  how do
> you know P001 contains all the data what 0214, 0215, and 0216 need?

It doesn't: You know that, because the PRIMARY volume are divided by what node
they correspond to, and the OFFSITE volumes are divided by what day they were
written (and sent offsite).

So, to a good approximation, every offsite tape volume carries a tiny stripe
of data from every node.

> Another question I have is, during reclamation if P001 is not available,
> does it grab the tape from COPY pool?

I think not.  If P001 is dead for some reason, you'd have to RESTORE VOLUME
first.

- Allen S. Rout