ADSM-L

Going from single TSM server to multiple servers

2005-02-10 11:19:50
Subject: Going from single TSM server to multiple servers
From: "Fred.Bateman AT usdoj DOT gov" <Fred.Bateman AT USDOJ DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:19:34 -0500
We currently have a TSM server (5.1.7.2) with
around 20 clients using LAN-free (storage agents)
and a greater number of clients backing
up across the LAN. All the clients are Unix.

We have two 3584 tape libraries with fibre attached
LTO2 drives.

We are planning to install a second TSM
server (5.3) to backup mainly Windows' clients
and will have both LAN and LAN-free clients.

I understand that the library manager must
be at the highest level of any library
client. Currently, the 5.1 server is both
a data manager and the library manager
(it being the only server <g>).

I am thinking of adding a third TSM server
(5.3) which would be ONLY the library manager.

The other two servers would be the data
managers and library clients. This would
give me flexibility in upgrading.

Reading the Admin Ref, Admin Guide and the
SAN guide, I understand how to set the
configuration up from scratch.

Questions:
1) how do I go from my current configuration
to my desired configuration?
2) how does DRM work in the new configuration?