ADSM-L

Re: NDMP backups

2005-02-10 11:04:59
Subject: Re: NDMP backups
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:04:19 -0700
        Joni,

        We are also wrestling with the pros/cons of using NDMP. As you
mentioned, the biggest "con" in my opinion is the inability to make
copies for offsite storage. It really puts a big hole in a DR plan.

        We are trying to get around this by putting a large NetApp R200,
TSM server and library at a remote site, connected to our main site with
dark fibre. We are just in the initial stages (we just established
connectivity between the filer and the tape drives yesterday), so I'm
not sure how it is going to go.

        The TSM portion is just a piece of the DR puzzle. We have a
large R200 filer at a remote site which we snapmirror our many NetApp
filers to already for DR. The next step we are taking is the
installation of TSM and a library at that remote site and attempting to
NDMP the data from the R200 to TSM. If it all works, it meets the DR
requirement by being remote enough so we will not need to worry about
duplicate copies.

        Another "con" is just the nature of NDMP, with the "fulls and
incrementals" methodology of backups. It is a step backwards from the
normal TSM backups and we expect it will cause us to have to store more
data on tape.

        Another thing I'm currently trying to get figured out is
management classes. It looks like you have to use clientoption sets on
the server for NDMP, but can we still have different files bound to
different retentions? How does that work with the TOC that you create
and their retention?

        Like I said, just this week we started poking around with it in
earnest, so hopefully I will get it all figured out.

Our environment (for the remote NDMP backups).
 TSM server - Sun V240 w/ 2CPUs & 4GB RAM, 2 2GB FibreChannel cards.
 TSM software - TSM 5.2.4.0
 Tape library - IBM 3584 w/ 4 LTO2 FC drives.
 Filers - Various NetApp filers snapmirroring to a monster R200 at the
remote site and NDMPed from there to the remote TSM server and library.

  Ben