ADSM-L

Re: Windows registry keys for 5.3

2005-02-09 23:31:09
Subject: Re: Windows registry keys for 5.3
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:30:59 -0800
Steve,
In order to perform installs without using the GUI you can perform silent
installs using switches passed to the *.MSI.  For more information on this:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itstorage.doc/toc.xml
Select "Storage Manager for Windows"
Expand the "Installation Guide"
Select Appendix B. Performing a Silent installation

The registry entries seem to look the for V5.3 as they did under V5.2.  Start
at: HKEY Local Machine\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\.

Under "CurrentVersion" you will find a key called "console".  This is the only
key I see that has a port hardcoded.  When using the TSM MMC to run a wizard
for an instance who's port has changed you will get an error if you don't
update the port here.  Note if you click down and select either Serve1,
Server2, Server3 or Server4 you will see a string value called "Protocol" which
you must edit.

You really shouldn't have a reason to update any of the other keys directly but
it may be interesting to see what's there.

Also of course you can see your TSM services under HKEY Local
Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\.  Just look through this list and
find the TSM ones.

All the client stuff is under \SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\ as well.
Again, the client services are also listed under the same \Services location
above.

Remember when automating client installs you can use the "dsmcutil" command
after running a silent install of the client code to create the client
services.  Note the dsmcutil command can also be used to just query the client
services and do a few other cool things.

Again, other than updating the port under console only if you change the port
of the TSM server you really shouldn't have to change anything here.  Also, in
order automate stuff you *DO NOT* have to replicate any of the registry stuff.
Even with command line automation all the registry information is set.  I know
in UNIX land in many cases you can just copy a folder and start a new instance.
 Well, in Windows land you don't want to try and copy a folder and copy the
registry and then make changes.   There is a very good way to automate to
remove human error and speed installation but using the silent insall switches
and dsmcutil for clients is the way to go.

Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU> wrote:
Hi All

I'm a unix guy in a windows world :)

I'm trying to do some fancy things with installation processes of multiple TSM
5.3 servers on multiple windows 2003 machines. One issue that I have is that
the initialization wizard picks the port number that it wants to use and I
don't get to specify which one I want to use. The DSMserv.opt file is updated
by the "edit options file" option of the MMC plugin, but it also updates the
registry, and when the TSM Server instance is started it appears to use the
registry rather than the options file.

I really don't want to have to point and click my way through every install -
its error prone as well as tedious.

So, where is the documentation on the registry keys used. Info on the client
would also be good. Then I can script all this stuff in perl.

Regards

Steve Harris

TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbase Australia.

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited. It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email. You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.