ADSM-L

Re: Number of HBA's

2005-02-09 14:27:45
Subject: Re: Number of HBA's
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:27:07 -0800
Seems like any tuning you did for one I/O workload would be sub-optimal for
the other.

Are large transfer sizes still de riguer for LTO?

[RC]

                "John E.
                Vincent"
                <adsm-l-alias@                                          To
                CLACORP.COM>           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                Sent by:                                                cc
                "ADSM: Dist
                Stor Manager"                                      Subject
                <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR         Re: Number of HBA's
                IST.EDU>

                02/09/2005
                03:59 AM

                Please respond
                adsm-l-alias@c
                  lacorp.com
                |------------|
                | [ ] Secure |
                |     E-mail |
                |------------|

Stef Coene wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 February 2005 21:10, Ben Bullock wrote:
>
>> The documents say you are supposed to NOT have SAN and tape
>>devices running on the same HBAs.
>
> Mhh, can you point me to a paper stating this?  I can't find any.
> I can find the rule that a tape drive must be on a separate zone from the
> disks.  But it can still be the same HBA in the host.
>
> Stef

Well what it really boils down to is the following two things:

1) Do you really want to slow disk access for tape traffic
and
2) Is it a supported configuration. I've been told flat out by IBM that
it is NOT a supported configuration. So as much as I would like to give
my TSM server some space on the SAN, I don't have room for another HBA
(x335) and I'm not about to go unsupported for it.

John

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for
the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited.
Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally
binding signature.