ADSM-L

Re: file retention

2005-02-03 19:05:00
Subject: Re: file retention
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:03:54 +1000
Hi Tim,

How about this.

Set your retention period to something reasonable - say 4 months.
Create another copypool on tape lets call it "LONGTERM"
Then every 3 months:-
for each storage pool  run a backup stg <stgpool> LONGTERM
When all copies are complete run a backup db type=dbs to tape.
Collect all LONGTERM tapes and the database snapshot and send them to the vault
with a set of recovery instructions and a notation that these are to be kept
forever.
run delete volume discardd=yes on all the longterm volumes

If you ever need the data back, restore the database on another TSM instance,
install an appropriate client and restore the data.

Then approach management to provide hardware and personnel to do a restore and
re-archive of this data every two years to refresh the data on tape.  Also
point out that you will require one of every model server bought by the
company, with associated OS and TSM Client (including infrastructure like AD
servers) warehoused and ready to use in the event that a restore is ever
necessary :)  Seriously if they want to do this "keep forever" thing they need
to be able to restore the data, and that requires more thought and energy than
simply being able to keep the data forever. You will need to identify each
client/OS combination and run periodic tests of each one to ensure you can do
restores when you need to.

Regards

Steve

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane Australia

>>> tim.piqueur AT DEVGEN DOT COM 04/02/2005 1:44:04 >>>
Hi,

I am relatively new to TSM so this might seem a stupid question...
Our management requires us (for IP reasons) to have a copy of every file
that has ever been created in our company. Of course, only user files
(e.g. excel, word, ppt, etc) ; we do not have to include database
backups etc.
Now I could set RETONLY to NOLIMIT but this would mean a dramatic
increase of storage requirements.
To limit the size of the storage pools I was wondering if there would be
any method to copy the files that have been deleted to tapes that we can
keep offsite. After which of course, those deleted files should
expire...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tim

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.