ADSM-L

Clients backing up directly to devtype FILE

2005-02-02 16:10:53
Subject: Clients backing up directly to devtype FILE
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:10:17 -0600
We have a Storage Pool hierarchy like:

DISK Stgpool (nolimit) --> FILE Stgpool (2GB limit) --> TAPE Stgpool
(nolimit)

Clients backup directly to DISK, files smaller than 2GB migrate to FILE
stgpool, everything else migrates to TAPE.

Clients backup overnight and we start migration from DISK at the end of
the workday so that recent backups are all on disk.

One problem with this is that client restores from DISK from previous
nights backup are limited to one session.  We could migrate earlier in
the day but then the larger last nights backups would be on TAPE which
we don't want.

One solution to this is to change the initial DISK Stgpool to type FILE.

APAR IC36524
(http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&dc=DB550
&q1=maxsize&uid=swg1IC36524&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en) indicates that
device type DISK should be used as the initial stgpool.

Just curious if anyone is using DEVTYPE File as the initial stgpool and
what experiences they have with it.

Any other suggestions to improve this setup?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg