ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install

2005-01-30 21:06:27
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:04:25 +1000
Hi all

For what its worth, I installed all the ISC stuff without incident on a newly
installed (just TSM and MSSQL) generic brand win20003 server with 2GB of memory.
The only issue that I had was that to begin with I was attempting to install
from a remotely mounted  file specified as UNC ie \\remoteservername\drive\etc
When I mapped the drive and tried again everything went swimmingly.

Now learning to use it is another matter, but the install part wasn't too bad
for me.

Regards

Steve.

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia.

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 29/01/2005 1:24:48 >>>
Well, I decided to try it again, trying this suggestion.

I increased my virtual-storage to 2.2GB (it was at 700MB + 512MB real).

Same results.

I fired up Window Task Manager and watched the install the whole time.
Memory usage never went above 425MB.

The install gets to 10% and sits there for around 10-minutes. Then jumps
to 15%....sits there a while and then BOOM - "Install Failed - Uninstall
Failed".

Oh well.....time to call for support !

David Wellington <David_Wellington AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
01/28/2005 03:11 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't

Hi,

I've just spent 3 weeks or so trying to install ISC on a virtual machine
and have experience many problems. The install would fail at the 15% mark
everytime.

Each time the install failed I looked in the logs that it told me too, and
like you, it was full of rubbish. At no stage was there ever an error
message that told me what the problem was.

In the end, after trying many different things, including upgrading Java,
increased the memory allocation to the virtual machine and it installed up
to 66% complete before failing. I then increased the memory again, and
after yet another 4 hours, the install finally completed.

In the end, I had some 2Gb of memory allocated to the virtual machine.

Hopefully, this information maybe of some help.

Regards.

David Wellington

             Zoltan
             Forray/AC/VCU
             <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't

             27/01/2005 19:24

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Speaking of the "topic of the day", I thought I would install the ISC,
just to see what the fuss is all about (I use TSMManager for pretty much
everything TSM wise).  Especially since I just upgraded my test TSM
server.

I have now tried *FOUR* times to install this wonderful product, only to
fail each time.

After wandering through the /Program Files/IBM/ISC/log.txt file (per the
error message) and then following the bouncing-ball to the
*:\...\Temp\ISCRuntimeInstall.log file (filled with Java jibberish), I
find the error message:

WizardException: (error code = 200; message="C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code =
200; message = "C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)])])
        at
com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile.writeFile(ModifyFile.java:280)
        at
com.installshield.wizardx.actions.AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.execute(AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.java:171)

        at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.execute(StandardWizardListener.java:123)

        at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.currentBeanChanged(StandardWizardListener.java:106)

        at com.installshield.wizard.Wizard$RunThread.run(Wizard.java:1564)

I installed the latest JAVA (after the first two failed attempts).

I have completely deleted the ISC and TEMP directories before each attempt
(after the first failure, the second attempt told me that ISC was already
installed, when it had not finished).

I have disabled all firewalls, blockers, etc.

The system is W2K. There is 8GB free disk space and 1GB of RAM !

So, can someone tell me how to resolve this ?

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.