ADSM-L

Re: restore image on windows 2000

2005-01-28 01:11:49
Subject: Re: restore image on windows 2000
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:11:33 -0700
Luc,

One of our senior testers (and co-authoer of the WinPE white paper) ran
through your WinPE scenario shared his thoughts with me.

He successfully had files deleted following the image portion of the
restore. Since the modified files are being restored at the file level
following the image restore, at least the -INCREMENTAL option is
functioning properly. The files not being deleted may be an issue with the
-DELETEFILES option. Some thoughts on what might be going on:

When you ran the incremental backup after the image backup, did you see
"Expiring --->" messages for the deleted files? Do the ending statistics
reflect expired files? You can verify this by using the command line
client to do the backup, and make sure that QUIET mode is not in effect.
Note that if you are using the -INCRBYDATE option, the files will not be
expired.

-DELETEFILES only deletes files, not directories. From your description,
you mention that both deleted files and folders (directories) are present
after the restore.... but I figured it is worth noting anyway, just to be
sure that we are indeed talking about more than just directories not being
deleted.

We suspect that the same problem should be recreatable outside of WinPE.
While that won't work for your C: drive, can you perform a similar test
with just your D: drive? But instead of using WinPE, do the restore under
your regular OS. Can you do this with a relatively small amount of data on
the D: drive? If so, when you restore D: with the RESTORE IMAGE command
(plus -INCREMENTAL and -DELETEFILES) option, make sure you have the
following statements in your client options file:

   tracefile c:\tsmtrace.txt
   traceflags service

(Note that the tracefile statement can point to any drive/file name, as
long as it isn't on D:)

Open a problem with IBM support and provide the trace to them. Reference
this thread on ADSM-L. This should go right to Level 2, let me know if you
run into any roadblocks.

Sorry this is being so troublesome for you.   :-(

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-01-27
13:49:34: