ADSM-L

SYSTEM OBJECT question

2005-01-26 07:21:16
Subject: SYSTEM OBJECT question
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:20:48 -0500
Good Morning.
Is there a way to delete old "SYSTEM OBJECT" files that are backed up?
What we currently do is, do an incremental backup on the entire machine
including the "SYSTEM OBJECT" nightly and keep for 90 days.  What I'd like to
do is delete some of the old "SYSTEM OBJECT" files that are old and no longer
needed.   I'm planning on changing so the "SYSTEM OBJECTS" are only kept for 45
days but was wondering if there was a way to clean out some of the old "SYSTEM
OBJECT" backups.
I'm also planning on having Win2k backup(NTBACKUP) the SYSTEM OBJECT file to a
file before the TSM backup then have TSM backup that file.
Does anyone know of a problem with this instead of having TSM backup the SYSTEM
OBJECT everynight?
The way we currently recover if necessary
1:  Put a minimal OS on system
2:  Install TSM
3:  Restore all files to the system
4:  Restore the SYSTEM OBJECT
What I'm planning is to change the 4th step and with the files recovered which
would include the backup of the SYSTEM OBJECT(NTBACKUP) have NTBACKUP restore
from the backed up file the SYSTEM OBJECT.  I've read in the forum some of the
notes and it seems like it works without a problem.
Client - Win2K SP3 with TSM 5.2.2
Server - AIX 5.2 with TSM 5.2.2

Have a Great Day,
Eric