ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB -- How big is too big?

2005-01-21 11:32:53
Subject: Re: TSM DB -- How big is too big?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:32:06 -0500
>My TSM database is currently about 220GB, 98% utilized and growing
>steadily.  It hasn't posed a serious problem, other than having to throw
>disk at it.  Backup takes 1.5 - 2 hours to LTO2 tape.

Our tsm databases are about half this.  As they've grown we've been able to
scale the server to keep
things running well - except expiration.   On our biggest tsm server we run
expiration around the
clock.  We run it for 4 hours, then  cancel it for about 15 min to unpin
the log, then start it back up for
another 4 hours.  Doing this, it is taking 2-3 days to perform a full
expiration.  This is on a very well
stripped emc disk subsystem.

How long does your expiration run and how have you managed it?

Thanks

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.