ADSM-L

Moving clients between TSM servers

2005-01-20 10:19:34
Subject: Moving clients between TSM servers
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:17:29 -0500
I am looking for suggestions on how to handle moving large TSM clients
between TSM servers and maybe some corrections to my understanding of how
EXPORT/IMPORT handles error situations.

I need to move TSM clients from my zOS server (being phased out) to my AIX
TSM server.  The problem is, some of these systems have > 1TB of data to
move.

When I tried to move a 500GB client (250GB actual since the copypool data
is not moved), the export/import ran for >40 hours before failing on a
tape drive failure (190GB moved).

My understandings are that:

1.  During the E/I the client is locked/can not be performing backups on
*EITHER* system. This means the client has to go without *ANY* backups for
the duration. This is generally not acceptable !

2.  If the E/I fails like it did, I have no recourse but to delete what
was successfully sent, and then start all over again. Doing a MERGE
FILESPACES is only going to save me the issue of it creating multiple
duplicate directories with the same name +1. It still will work through
all 40+ 3590 tapes.

So, how do you handle situations like this ?

If 190GB took 2-days, 1TB will take > week with me praying for no tape
drive failures (or TSM server crashes like it did earlier in the week with
a U301 abend/known problem).

The zOS server only has access to a 100MB connection.

Both TSM servers are 5.2.3.4. I will be upgrading to 5.3 as soon as I can.