ADSM-L

SAN Booting

2005-01-19 16:47:20
Subject: SAN Booting
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:46:45 -0600
Hi all:

We are looking at booting servers from a SAN instead of local disks.

We are planning to use either TSM image or file backups of the OS drives
(Windows 2003) to make server deployment and bare metal restores
quicker:

Install Windows (and apps) on hardware

Run SYSPREP

Backup SAN disk from another system (either TSM image backup or TSM file
system backup)

To roll out new hardware or perform BMR:

Recover TSM image or file system backup (from another system)

Plug in new hardware to this system and run SYSPREP

My questions on this:

Is anyone booting from SAN?

What applications?

Is anyone booting a TSM server from a SAN?

Are there any issues (TSM and others) to look out for?

Is anyone using TSM as above for System Deployments?

Any issues?

I apologize that some of these questions may not be TSM related so
please reply directly to me rather than the list.

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth

City of Winnipeg

trushforth AT winnipeg DOT ca