ADSM-L

Controlling the nic/IP selection of multi-homed AIX TSM server

2005-01-19 11:59:08
Subject: Controlling the nic/IP selection of multi-homed AIX TSM server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:56:28 -0500
TSM AIX server - 5.2.3.5

I think I know the answer to this question, but I figured maybe  good
discussion might evoke some thought on the subject.

Our primary TSM AIX server has 2-nic/addresses.....an internal 192.168.x
for GIG-E speed on local boxes, and an external 128.172.x for outside the
data center access.

We have some TSM clients that are tightly locked down, complete with
static routes, etc.

The problem (as I understand it) is with the TSM server and how it selects
which IP address to talk to the clients.

On this problematic client (and more to come), when it contacts the TSM
server for the schedule, it uses its internal 192.168.x connection.
However, when the TSM server tries to tap the client to perform the
backup, it uses its 128.172.x nic/address, which the client then refuses
to recognize/accept/connect to.

Is there any way to get the TSM server to contact a client on the same
nic/IP the client used to contact it, from the server perspective.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  So far, the only thing we
came up with is to change the client SCHEDMODE to PROMPTED.