ADSM-L

Re: Backing up SYSTEMOBJECT on Win2K machines

2005-01-18 14:30:15
Subject: Re: Backing up SYSTEMOBJECT on Win2K machines
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:29:56 -0500
..seems like the DB is growing faster than it use to and I'd like to
prevent rapid growth once the others are included.
It's my understanding that all of the SYSTEMOBJECT files are backed up
with every backup(incremental).

        >>  Yes, that is true.  Until you get to Win2003, then I believe
it is supposed to be a true incremental of those files, but I haven't
verified that.

Is it more efficient/better to have ntbackup backup the SYSTEMOBJECT to
a file before the TSM backup, then have TSM backup this file nightly
with the regular TSM backup?

        >> Many people do that.  It means only 1 file gets backed up by
TSM, therefore the impact on your DB is less.

Is there any problem with recovery of the machine using this
method(ntbackup then TSM)?

        >>No.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages to using this method?

        Advantages:
        Less impact on your TSM DB
        I have never run into this, but if your restore fails, you only
have Microsoft to deal with, no finger pointing since only Microsoft
tolls are involved.
        Disadvantages:
        How are you going to verify that it is working?         You have
to visit each machine and set up a scheduled task to do the ntbackup.
If the ntbackup piece fails, TSM isn't going to be able to tell you.
        Also, you have to train OTHER people in your shop on how to do
the 2-step restore if you aren't around;        restore the flat file
from TSM, then do the ntrestore

Generally how many files does the SYSTEMOBJECT backup contain?
        >> Depending on the machine, 1800-2000

FWIW:
        >>Here's what I would suggest as the easiest solution.  You are
keeping your client backups for 90 days, but I persionally would never
want to restore a Windows registry that is 90 days old!

        >>You can assign the SYSTEMOBJECT to a different management
class than the other files.  (Look in the TSM for Windows client manual
for INCLUDE SYSTEMOBJECT ALL).  So create a management class that only
keeps 14, or even 30 days worth of your SYSTEMOBJECT backups, while
retaining other stuff for 90 days.  That requires changes nowhere but in
the TSM Server, and greatly limits the growth of the SYSTEMOBJECT files
in your TSM DB.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)