ADSM-L

Backing up SYSTEMOBJECT on Win2K machines

2005-01-18 13:52:52
Subject: Backing up SYSTEMOBJECT on Win2K machines
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:52:29 -0500
Good Afternoon.
I've seen a few post on the backup of the SYSTEMOBJECT for win2k and I'm
looking for the best way to backup our win2K systems.
I have 4 systems that I currently backup with another 10+ to go.
Most of my machines are UNIX so I've never had a problem with this.
It seems like the DB is growing faster than it use to and I'd like to prevent
rapid growth once the others are included.
It's my understanding that all of the SYSTEMOBJECT files are backed up with
every backup(incremental).
We keep all data for 90 days and the systems are backed up Monday-Friday .
Is it more efficient/better to have ntbackup backup the SYSTEMOBJECT to a file
before the TSM backup, then have TSM backup this file nightly with the regular
TSM backup?
Is there any problem with recovery of the machine using this method(ntbackup
then TSM)?
Is there any advantages/disadvantages to using this method?
Generally how many files does the SYSTEMOBJECT backup contain?
We are currently on AIX 5.2/TSM 5.2.2 server and win2K SP3 clients.

Have a Great Day,
Eric