ADSM-L

Spectra 2K tape dismount problem

2005-01-17 09:15:25
Subject: Spectra 2K tape dismount problem
From: Dmitri Pasyutin <dimitri.pasyutin AT FR.ABNAMRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:35:30 +0100
Hi,

I am having a very annoying problem with a recently
acquired Spectra 2K library, I was hoping that someone
on the list could confirm this.

My configuration:

TSM 5.3.0.0 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0
Spectra 2K (Treefrog) library, SCSI attached
Two AIT-4 (SDX-900V) drives

The problem:

When dismounting a tape after a read or write operation,
the tape is ejected from the drive but the tape picker does
not move the tape back to its slot in the library. Because
TSM 5.3 now uses the native Linux SCSI driver (sg) instead
of loading its own modules, I was able to trace that TSM
keeps a file descriptor open on the tape device while at
the same time issuing a "move medium" command to the
library. The file descriptor is kept open as long as the volume
is in the "dismounting" state. Eventually the "move medium"
command times out, and TSM logs an I/O error on the changer.
After doing several dismount retries, TSM abandons the
operation and removes the file descriptor, and at that
precise moment the picker wakes up and moves the tape
back to the slot. Of course, after that TSM has lost track of
the tape and an "audit library" is required...

My conclusion is that the library tries to inquire on the drive
before picking up the ejected tape, but the drive is blocked
by the open file descriptor. AFAIK, it is TSM's normal
behaviour to lock the drives until the completion of the
dismount operation (I have done tests on AIX, not with the
same library though). So the problem is that the library is
not obeying to the "move medium" command when it should.
I wrote to Spectra Logic about this, they have not gotten
back to me yet.

Anyway, if anyone has worked with this library or had any
similar experiences, your insight is much appreciated :-)

Many thanks,
Dmitri
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

Le présent message (y compris tous les éléments attachés) est confidentiel
et est destiné aux seules personnes qu'il vise. Si vous l'avez reçu par
erreur, merci de l'indiquer à son expéditeur par retour et de procéder à sa
destruction dans vos systèmes. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée
de son contenu, dans sa totalité ou en partie, est strictement interdite.
Merci de noter que les e-mails sont susceptibles d'être altérés. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V. (et les entités membres du Groupe ABN AMRO) ne saurait être tenu
pour responsable ni de la transmission erronée ou incomplète des
informations contenues dans ce message,  ni des délais de réception ou des
dommages causés à votre système. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (et les entités membres
du Groupe ABN AMRO) ne garantit ni que l'intégrité de la communication ait
été maintenue ni que cette transmission soit exempte de virus,
d'interceptions ou d'interférences.