ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC stgpool: DISK or FILE?

2005-01-17 03:11:58
Subject: Re: DIRMC stgpool: DISK or FILE?
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:11:22 +0100
On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 02:02:08PM -0600, Stapleton, Mark wrote:

> Storage pools that act as DIRMC management class destinations  [...]
> contain redundant data; the normal client data destination pool also
> contains a copy of all directory and file structure data.

I wasn't aware of this. Is this documented somewhere?

If this is the case, then why have a DIRMC stgpool at all? From
ADSM.QuickFacts I've understood that in current TSM versions the
restore process doesn't necessarily restore the entire directory tree
with all correct attributes first, but that (if necessary) the directory
is created with default permissions and attributes, and the permissions
and attributes are set when the directory is processed on the backup
media.

> For multiple customers, I just set up a smallish disk-based storage pool
> from 5 to 7GB with cache turned on; once a week, a migration to the
> regular primary tape pool takes place. Nothing fancy needed here.

So the data from the DIRMC pool ends up on a sequential primary pool?
Am I correct in concluding that such a configuration does not result
in problems, e.g. performance-issues when doing offsite reclamation?

Thanks,
--
Jurjen Oskam
  "E-mail has just erupted like a weed, and instead of considering