ADSM-L

Re: Exchange TDP 5211 Storage Group Failing

2005-01-14 14:00:22
Subject: Re: Exchange TDP 5211 Storage Group Failing
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:59:42 -0800
 I am now getting the same errors.  We have tried restarting exchange and
then rebooting the Exchange server, no luck.  In the event viewer we are
getting a event id of 217.

We found this in the Microsoft knowledge base
See the issue under cause.  Can this be the problem with TDP for
Exchange????

You cannot successfully perform an online backup information store databases
on your Exchange Server 2003 SP1 computer, and event ID 217 is logged
Article ID : 889528
Last Review : December 23, 2004
Revision : 1.1
SYMPTOMS
When you try to perform an online backup of the information store databases
on your Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) computer, the
backup is not successful. The following event is logged to the Application
log:Event ID: 217
Source: ESE
Type: Error
Category: Logging/Recovery
Error -4001 During backup of a database location. The database will be
unable to restore. Note The -4001 error code corresponds to a
JET_errFileIOBeyondEOF error condition.
CAUSE
Under certain circumstances, the information store backups may fail because
of a "beyond end of file (EOF)" condition. In Exchange Server 2003 SP1, the
Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) pre-extends the information store database
as an optimization feature. However, backup software may not be compatible
with this feature. Therefore, backups that are created may be unusable.
RESOLUTION
Hotfix information
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended
to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to
systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive
additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this
problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Microsoft Exchange Server
2003 service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;> [LN];CNTACTMS
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will
apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the
specific update in question.