ADSM-L

Re: Errror During Mksysb

2005-01-14 07:24:02
Subject: Re: Errror During Mksysb
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:23:26 -0500
On Jan 14, 2005, at 7:13 AM, Crawford, L. (Lindy) wrote:

I have tried to do a mksysb backup of my aix5.2 tsm server 5.2 to tape
and I
keep getting the following error:-

0512-017 mksysb: Cannot write to the device /dev/rmt2.
                 Either write protected or in use.

I have tried to delete tape devices and only configure the dat drive
but
with no success. Is there any suggestions:-

The tape is fine, no problems with tape or tape drive...

This isn't AIX-L, but...  I've seen that error where the operator kicks
off a mksysb and there is no tape in the drive. In your case, I would
obviously assure that the write-protect tab on the tape cartridge is in
the right position to allow writing. If still a problem, try another
tape. If it persists, then perhaps the drive is not properly sensing
the tape. You might also try 'lsof' to see if anything else is meddling
with the drive.

   Richard Sims