ADSM-L

Re: PowerVault 132T and Dell 110T LTO2 drives problem

2005-01-13 18:11:10
Subject: Re: PowerVault 132T and Dell 110T LTO2 drives problem
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:06:45 +1000
There is an issue documented in the 5.3 readme that you cannot use the windows
2k3 FC storport driver with the TSM device driver to access tape devices. Could
this be your problem?

This has bitten me because I have disk that needs the storport driver and only
a single FC Card plus an  FC Attached tape library. I'd really prefer to use
the TSM device driver, so if anyone can suggest a way around this issue, I
would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Steve

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> trcka AT GCSYSTEM DOT CZ 13/01/2005 23:57:42 >>>
Hello *SMers,
I'm having trouble with operating Dell 110T LTO2 drives in a PowerVault
132T library.

Environment:
- W2k3, HBA Qlogic 2340, FC attached Dell Powervault 132T library with 2
Dell 110T LTO2 drives
- TSM device driver for library
(http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21177112) and
IBM device drivers
 for the drives
(http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=110T&uid=swg21082581&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en)

I am able to define both drives and library, as well as paths, in TSM
sucessfully, but I'm having problems with write operations to the drive.
F.e., when I try to label volumes in the library, the tape gets mounted
in a drive, but no label is ever written and the process never ends (or
at least not within 20 mins). Tape stays mounted in a drive and never
gets dismounted. I've tried dozens of combinations of device drivers for
the drives, but never succeeded. I see no error in the TSM Actlog or
Windows Event log.

When I define library as RSM type (using native Dell device drivers for
both library and tape drives) and use RSM for media handling, everything
works fine.
I can easily label volumes, perform backups and so on. Again, when I
reconfigure the library and drive back to SCSI type and try to perform
f.e. a backup of TSM database using media labelled in previous step (via
RSM), the procedure repeats with the same result - robotics mount the
tape in a drive and nothing happens. TSM server is still waiting for
mount of a scratch media, eventhough the volume is already mounted.

I've tried to install TSM 5.2 even, but the result is the same.

It seems to me, that there must be a problem with device drivers, but
maybe I'm missing something.
Any ideas ?

--

S pozdravem / Best Regards,

Martin Trcka, IT Consultant
Tech. Support Department
GC System a.s., Spitalka 41, 60200 Brno, Czech Rep.
mob: +420 602 452 361
fax: +420 543 537 333
email: trcka AT gcsystem DOT cz

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.