ADSM-L

Re: Does updating the RETVer for an archive copygroup change existing archives RETVer

2005-01-11 11:16:52
Subject: Re: Does updating the RETVer for an archive copygroup change existing archives RETVer
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:16:11 -0500
On Jan 11, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Robert Knutsen wrote:

I am thinking of implementing a weekly and monthly archive in the same
copygroup.  I would set the RETVer option to 30 day for weekly backups
then run an scheduled administration command to update the RETVer to
365
for monthly archives.  My question is, would making this change update
the
existing archives (ie. update 30 day RETVer existing archives to 365
RETVer)  that have different RETVer's?  Additionally, do I have to
activate the policy before this would take effect for the next archive?

This is addressed in the monthly FAQ, and in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts under "Archived files,
retention period, update".
The essence is that you can't have disparate retentions for the same
data under the same policy. Use a separate management class to have
different retention for separate copies of the data.

  Richard Sims